What's a Retreat?
Space for God
The many demands of our daily routine can make it hard to make space for God. We find ourselves needing time – time to be alone, to unwind, to do nothing, to catch up with ourselves; time to read, to think, to feel, to be creative; time to look back and plan ahead, to speak and to listen, to lay things down and to take up new challenges; time to take stock, to pray, and to deepen our relationship with God.
Space for Doing
Here are some suggestions:
- Relax! Don’t feel guilty if you simply want to rest and sleep.
- Read your Bible or books of your choice.
- Listen to music. • Spend time in prayer – in private, in the grounds or out walking.
- Go for country walks, and enjoy the sights, sounds and smells.
Space for Being
- Writing, drawing or painting may help you express your thoughts, feelings, or insights.
- Be disciplined: Writing a journal may assist your retreat, enabling you to go back to things later.
- Be open to help: You may find it helpful to have a member of the team to talk to or to pray with you.
Look back over your stay:
- What have you experienced?
- Have you received or resolved anything?
- Is there anything you have decided to do?